Welcome to a new giveaway on the blog! This week I’ve a fantastic prize courtesy of the lovely people at Poundstretcher. They are offering one lucky winner a brilliant bundle of garden games – just in time for Summer.
With the weather warming up nicely and the evenings getting lighter for longer, my children are spending more and more time playing in the garden. Apart from the obvious benefits of outdoor play – lots of fresh air, exercise and less mess indoors spring to mind – I love the fact that this time of year gives us scope for a whole host of family games that you just can’t manage indoors. Here are some ideas for how you can easily use your garden as an outdoor playroom for lots of family fun.
Make your own obstacle course
This is a great one for involving all ages. Use whatever you can find to create your own unique obstacle course – things like hula hoops, balls & racquets, bouncy hoppers, a skipping rope and a football to dribble are all great. You can make it as difficult or as easy as you like, and introduce some maths too by timing each person and trying to beat the record. The grown-ups always get really competitive with this one!
This is a great quick game that doesn’t need much space. You just need to mark out your goal with something non-breakable and choose your penalty spot, then you can all take it in turns to be the penalty taker and the goalkeeper. Decide at the start how many shots you each get, and to make things a bit more fun you can see who comes up with the silliest goal celebration!
Take inspiration from Sports Day
There’s a reason why Sports Day games haven’t changed much over the years; they’re hard to beat. You really don’t need many ‘props’ for this kind of game too; egg & spoon races are easy to re-create using a ball instead of an egg for less mess, a relay race is great for all ages and just needs a baton, and if your children are a little older a there-legged race just needs some pieces of rope. I always get my kids to draw up the scoreboard for this one, which keeps them busy while we get things set up.
Good old-fashioned water games
Playing with water out in the sunshine is a guaranteed winner with kids – and adults – of all ages. If you have a garden sprinkler you can challenge the kids to run through it or jump over it without getting wet – harder than it sounds! Or go for some old-fashioned water fun with empty squirty bottles (sports cap water bottles or clean washing-up liquid bottles work well here) in the paddling pool. And of course who can resist an all-out water fight? This is where water blasters, water balloons and buckets really come in handy.
For lots of other outdoor game ideas take a look at my garden games Pinterest board.
This is a perfect time of year to use your garden as an outdoor playroom and really let your imagination go to town. Poundstretcher have a fab range of outdoor toys to get you setup for lots of family fun – and you can win a brilliant bundle of their garden toys worth £20 to get you started, comprising a selection of their products including a bouncy hopper, a pair of water gauntlets and a water blaster.
HOW TO ENTER
To enter the giveaway tweet this message:
I’d love to win a garden games bundle worth £20 from Poundstretcher via @growingfamilyuk http://wp.me/p5s5zJ-kh
then leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
For extra entries:
- Follow @growingfamilyuk on Twitter
- Like Poundstretcher on Facebook
- Like Growing Family on Facebook
- Follow Poundstretcher on Pinterest
Leave a separate comment for every entry that you do, for the purpose of the random number generator. Good Luck!
GIVEAWAY CLOSES: 12TH JUNE 11.59PM
UK ENTRIES ONLY
Terms & Conditions:
- The prize is a garden games bundle from Pounstretcher, worth £20. There will be one winner. There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
- Entrants must tweet the message and leave a comment as per the instructions.
- Extra entries via following @growingfamilyuk on Twitter, liking Poundstretcher on Facebook, liking Growing Family on Facebook and following Poundstretcher on Pinterest.
- All steps listed above must be followed to ensure the proper qualification into the giveaway.
- Entries must not be submitted through agents or third parties, and any such entries will be invalid.
- Open to mainland UK residents aged 13 and over, excluding employees and relatives of Catherine Hughes and employees of Poundstretcher, its associated companies and agencies (together with their family members).
- The giveaway closes on 12th June 2015 11.59pm.
- The winner will be randomly selected from all valid entry submissions received by the closing date. The winner will be notified by email.
- The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date and will need to respond within 7 days. Failure to claim the Prize within this period shall lead to the Prize being forfeited and entitle the Promoter at its discretion to redraw another winner without liability.
- The winner’s name will be available on request.
- The prize will be given direct from Poundstretcher, allowing for delivery timescales.
- Events may occur that render the Promotion itself or the awarding of the Prize impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter and the entrant agrees that no liability shall be attached to the Promoter as a result thereof.
- By entering the Prize Draw, all entrants confirm they have read, accepted and agreed to be bound to these Terms and Conditions.
- Growing Family’s decision is final.