Welcome to a new review and giveaway on the blog – this week I’ve a fantastic prize courtesy of the lovely people at Natural Urban Gardeners. They are offering one lucky winner a fabulous organic potting kit and wildflower mat, perfect for inspiring you to get out in the garden this Autumn.
Natural Urban Gardeners supply natural, organic, sustainable and handmade gardening products. Their range is focused on gardening naturally and includes fertilisers, pest control, gardening equipment, furniture and wildlife-friendly products. We’ve been getting very organised this week, using their Organic Potting kit to sow some of next year’s crops.
The organic potting kit contains 10 hand-crafted coir pots, 10 coir compost discs and two sachets of organic liquid fertiliser. The coir pots are made from coconut husks, making them 100% natural and a great alternative to plastic plant pots. You can choose from two kit sizes, 8cm or 10.75cm pots. We used the 8cm kit.
The kit is super-simple to use: you just pop a coir disc into a pot, add about 100ml of water and watch the disc magically expand into compost – Lily absolutely loved this! Once the compost has expanded (it only takes a couple of minutes) you just pop your seeds in, cover them over and water them, just like you would with any other plant pot. Once your seedlings are growing strongly you can give them a boost with the organic fertiliser supplied with the kit.
You might not think of Autumn as a typical time for planting seeds, but it’s actually a good season to get some plants started ready for Spring; broad beans, spring cabbage and winter-hardy spring onions are all good options. Lily chose to sow Spring onions; instead of sowing in rows we’re trying a new method of sowing in pots so we can harvest the whole clump in one go. This is a good option for little fingers as you don’t need to sow thinly.
I really like the fact that the whole kit is as natural as possible. There’s no plastic involved, the compost is peat-free, and the fertiliser is organic too. An added bonus of using coir pots as opposed to plastic ones is that they’re biodegradable – so when you’re ready to plant out your seedlings you just put the whole pot in the ground without having to disturb delicate roots.
The kit also provides a really easy, convenient way to sow seeds, because the compost is in small, easy to manage portions. This makes it a perfect product to use when gardening with children, ours found the pots and discs easy to handle and were really excited about the ‘magic’ growing compost. I think this kit would be a brilliant way to make alternative party bag presents for children too; a pot, a compost disc and some seeds would make a mini growing kit for each child to take home, so much better than a bag full of plastic rubbish!
The 8cm Organic potting kit costs £7.95 from Natural Urban Gardeners, and you can enter the competition to win one below. Natural Urban Gardeners have also given us a Bird Mat worth £10.95 to include in the giveaway – sounds intriguing doesn’t it! A bird mat is a biodegradable mat packed with seeds for plants that birds love. All you do is lay it on a patch of soil (you can cut it to fit), cover it thinly with soil or compost, and leave it to grow a lovely selection of wildflowers that attract wild birds. Such an easy way to encourage wildlife to visit your garden, and another great product to use with children.
Whether you’re a keen gardener, just getting started or wanting to encourage children to get involved with gardening, this is a great prize. To enter just follow the instructions below. Good luck!
HOW TO ENTER
To enter the giveaway tweet this message:
I’d love to win a natural gardening bundle from @NUGsTweet via @growingfamilyuk http://wp.me/p5s5zJ-xN
then leave a comment letting me know you’ve done it.
For extra entries:
•Subscribe to Growing Family blog via email
•Follow Growing Family on Instagram
Leave a separate comment for every entry that you do, for the purpose of the random number generator.
GIVEAWAY CLOSES: 23rd OCTOBER 11.59PM
UK ENTRIES ONLY
Terms & Conditions:
- The prize is a small organic potting kit and a bird mat from Natural Urban Gardeners worth a total of £18.90. There is no cash alternative. Entrants must tweet the message and leave a comment as per the instructions.
- Extra entries via subscribing to Growing Family blog via email, liking Natural Urban Gardeners on facebook, following Growing Family on Instagram and following Natural Urban Gardeners on Instagram.
- All steps listed above must be followed to ensure the proper qualification into the giveaway.
- Open to mainland UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of Catherine Hughes and Natural Urban Gardeners.
- The giveaway closes on 23rd October 11.59pm.
- The winner will be chosen by random and contacted by email.
- The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date and will need to respond within 7 days or a new winner will be chosen.
- The winner’s name will be available on request.
- The prize will be given direct from Growing Family, allowing for delivery timescales.
- Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- Growing Family’s decision is final.