If you’re shopping for wallpaper, you’re probably only too aware that there are many options on the market these days. As a homeowner looking to revamp your home, it’s pretty easy to get overwhelmed by the choice.
This list of questions is here to help you make the right decision.
Read on for six areas that you should consider when shopping for designer wallpapers. Thinking about each one will help you find the perfect wallpaper for your home – and also make sure you get great value for money.
1. How do I know the wallpaper is of good quality?
When it comes to designer wallpapers, you’re naturally going to searching for good looks and functionality. But quality is just as important.
A good quality wallpaper should tick all of these boxes:
- High-end (in other words, not flimsy)
- Easy to clean (especially for those with children and pets at home)
- Easy to hang or paste (if you will be hanging it yourself)
- High resolution for the ultimate designer look
2. What are the different wallpaper types?
There are three main types of wallpaper: vinyl, fabric, and paper.
- Vinyl wallpaper is affordable and easily available; it’s also water-resistant and easy to install. It’s the cheapest option, but doesn’t always deliver on style and a quality look.
- Fabric wallpaper is water-resistant, so it’s easy to clean. Unfortunately, it loses its quality in humid conditions.
- Paper wallpaper isn’t water-resistant, and is also pricier than the other two options above.
3. What are the different types of wallpaper borders?
If you’re using wallpaper borders, you should aim for the style to complement the rest of your room’s decor.
There are basically three types of wallpaper borders.
- Flat wallpaper border has a smooth finish. It’s often easier to work with since it doesn’t curl.
- Velvet or textured wallpaper border has a more natural look and feel. It’s also easy to apply because it doesn’t curl up.
- Veneered wallpaper border is flat-surfaced and comes with paper strips glued around the edge, making it simple to apply.
4. What are the different ways to apply wallpaper?
There are two ways to hang traditional wallpaper.
- Apply paste to the wall, then hang your wallpaper.
- Apply paste to the wallpaper, then stick it to the wall.
If you have a preferred method of hanging, make sure you choose a wallpaper that is compatible with it.
You can also buy peel-and-stick wallpaper which is super-easy to apply and can be changed quickly without damaging your walls.
It’s a good idea to only lightly apply each strip of wallpaper at first, this makes it easier to adjust the position without damaging the paper.
5. Where should I buy my wallpaper online?
The easiest way to shop for designer wallpaper is online. You’ll have access to a much wider selection of designs than any single shop can offer.
Brands like Ever Wallpaper offer high-end wallpapers (from abstract wallpaper to coloured designs) that are perfect for adding a designer touch to any room.
6. What wallpaper aftercare should I be aware of?
It’s important to take good care of your new wallpaper by giving it ample time to dry before you hang pictures. Leaving a minimum of twenty four hours is a good idea.
If you notice any edges that are lifting on your wallpaper, you can carefully apply a small amount of paste to the back of the paper before gently pressing it back into place.
It’s also a good idea to hang onto the label from one of your wallpaper rolls. This usually has information on how to take care of your wallpaper, plus a guide to the best way to remove it when you want to re-decorate.
Have you got a useful tip to share when it comes to choosing designer wallpapers?